Friday 7 March 2014

Day Sixty Five ; Quinoa Salad Recipe!

Date : Thursday 6th March 2014

Time : 19.27

Location : Millennium Apartments, Birmingham

Quinoa Salad - Delicious!

I've been told by a number of people, that quinoa is REALLY good for you, and I need to start eating it!

On Wednesday I actually went to Tesco to ask where quinoa was - because I had a vague idea what it was, but no idea where to find it. 

For anyone who doesn't know, quinoa (pronounce keen-wah) is a type of grain which is FULL of protein! 

After consulting a colleague at work, I was told to look down the 'whole foods' section, which I did, and low and behold, there it was! 

So last night I made the above salad. Wow. It was amazing. Here is the recipe. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

150g x Quinoa
4 x Spring Onions
1 x Green Pepper
Cucumber
Baby Sweetcorn
Sugarsnap Peas
Avocado
Chicken breast chunks
Olive Oil
Paprika (and other various spices)

So the quinoa takes about 30 minutes to cook, you need to boil about 400ml of water, and let the quinoa simmer until it all the water is absorbs. It's great, you can just let it do it's own thing! 

Whilst this is going on, I prepped my veg by chopping my cucumber, green peppers and avocado into small chunks, and throwing it into a mixing bowl with the sugarsnap peas and baby sweetcorn. I like to get my hands dirty, so I just mixed everything together with some oil and a pinch of salt / pepper.

I then began frying my chicken, which takes about 15 minutes(ish), so after about 8 minutes I started to grill my vegetables. I grilled the spring onions whole, then chopped them afterwards ... not sure why, that's just what the recipe said to do! 

Once all my quinoa had absorbed the water, my chicken was cooked and my vegetables were grilled, I threw it all in a mixing bowl, tossed it all together and dug in! 

It was so good. I threw some paprika on just for a bit of extra flavour but it didn't really need it. The quinoa has quite a nutty taste, but it just went really well with all the veg and chicken. 

I would definitely recommend this to everyone, it only took about 30 minutes to prepare, and I had plenty leftover for lunch on Friday! 

So good and SO healthy! 

Something else VERY exciting that happened today was that I won a trip to Milan. So next weekend me and a friend are jetting off on Saturday, going to have a look round the city, then on Sunday we're going to an AC Milan game then flying home. Very exciting! I can't wait! 

March is a good month! 

Lesson of the day - Quinoa is the ONE!! 



1 comment:

  1. Oooo, yes I like this & have some in my cupboard from the last time I was inspired to use it! The only bad thing about it is the name...so hard to remember when you are looking for it at a shop!!!

    ReplyDelete